Earth nature field

Trolls

Please post any in-game or website related bugs you encounter and any helpful steps or information to replicate the bug. **NOTE** If this is an unbalancing in-game exploit, please PM the DMs with the information to avoid any possible abuses. If you're unsure, PM the DMs.
Gxtun

Trolls

Post by Gxtun »

I thought fire and acid can only "kill" trolls

So why are normal arrows killing them now?

Did something change?
Xillie

Re: Trolls

Post by Xillie »

You mean "river trolls"?

They can only get killed by fire or by blows of massive damage (some of them).

Normal trolls have never needed fire afaik.

greets,

Xillie
Gxtun

Post by Gxtun »

ah... okay....that's make sense
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

Yes, gxtun - regular trolls can be killed normally. Otherwise low level characters would have no chance against them. But River Trolls need fire or acid to kill. And they have special attacks, which make them very dangerous. :shock:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
artemishadow

Post by artemishadow »

The river trolls can't be killed with flame wep either, note that :)
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

What? Since when? Many of us have used Flame Weapon, to finish them off. :shock: o.O
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

Actually, flame weapon (and I'm pretty sure darkfire) does not work reliably on the river trolls, if at all. Apparently, the "on-hit" part of the effect isn't taken into account when checking for a kill. I don't know if that's intentional or not, or some side-effect of how "on-hit" works in the nwn game engine. This is from observation in game, not from looking at any scripts or the like - so take it for what that's worth.

It's possible it has to do with a conflict with existing on-hit properties on weapons. As already said, those things can be dangerous, so I've never actually experimented with that, but I may in the future because now I'm curious.

As far as I know, to be assured of a kill, you need a weapon with a "natural" fire or acid damage component. Acid arrows or bolts will do it too. A crafted verdicite or rubicite weapon in the back pocket, if not your regular fair, is one way to go. Even the lowly flame dagger should do the trick.

Spells that do direct fire or acid damage also take them out when they are in that near death state.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

Ah, that may be it. Flame Weapon applied to a verdicite weapon...and me thinking that the fire killed them.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
artemishadow

Post by artemishadow »

Well we ran through river trolls a little while ago today and the flame wep indeed did not kill them, we could get them to near death and on the ground -ready- to die, but were unable to kill them unless via a direct fire dmg spell.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

I still remember how frustrating it was the first time a bunch of us encountered them after they were changed. lol
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor