Earth nature field

YEAH CLASSIC

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
Beard

Re: YEAH CLASSIC

Post by Beard »

like I said, even if I DM gave you the items, it wouldn't complete the quest for you, it's tracked in the database for Diff and Classic/Epic back on Richterm's Retreat, which I do not have, if I did you'd be fine.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Classic was classic because it didn't go past lvl 20 so it didn't need all the new areas. BUT with epic having ILR turned off and the option to port any character to any server, it does make it rather moot to play alone when you can play with friends without the main thing that kept classic unchanged (ILR). Now a difficult version... that would be different at least.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

If it was me, i would run the true classic module that has no epic content. We have the classic module as it was several years ago, it doesn't have all the fancy new additions, but it is certainly easier to work with. I think a lot of the epic areas are a bit.. well, they need some work lets put it that way. We could port a few into it and rebalance them for whatever levels we want however.
leutian kane

Post by leutian kane »

whether you think classic is "necessary" or not, i'm all for it i never was a big fan of epic for a LOT of reasons, the Biggest ones being classic is where i started, classic is where i had the Best RP that i experienced, and classic is where all of my Nordock friends were.
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

Well, in addition i think most people just really wanted new areas and embraced epic because it gave them that. Additional leveling never appealed to me for a variety of reasons and especially from a DM stand point, but i see that it might to others. As a dm for instance though, when there are 40 levels instead of 20 the gap between who can reasonable enjoy events or dm interaction at similar levels is lowered drastically. On top of that, even similar levels in epic have a huge gap in stats and builds, on average twice that of level 20s in classic. It's very difficult to run a balanced event or engagement when one person can dev crit the shit out of everything and one person stands around getting one shot.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

I have to admit, it's additional areas that made it win for me. Same old gets boring for me, RP or not.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Zarcoff

Post by Zarcoff »

New area's are great, but I think they need to be coherent, balanced and above even that, fun! Just because you fill an area with thousands of placeables doesn't mean it's a good area. There are some areas on Nordock that don't need to exist anymore, they're unused, unloved and only a handful of people will ever remember them. New ones could be added, but we'll need to agree what fat can be trimmed.

I think some areas need a rebalance and reshuffle of the mobs in them. For example, the Fallen Druids are still broken and cause an untold number of script errors, they need to be fixed. Re balancing encounters in popular areas should allow those areas to be enjoyed by a wider playerbase and at more levels, allowing players to be challenged at any level.

There are areas where monsters almost spawn on-top of you or within your visible range and this could be addressed as a low priority tweak.

We can always build on the old without destroying the old, or even remove areas without removing Nordocks identity. There's no point in preserving even a single area in the module if no one is going to play on it :)
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}
Otherworldly

Post by Otherworldly »

I used to think I liked classic more than epic of diff because of lvl cap, areas and no ilr-but after actually playing through those others I realized the only thing really holding me in classic was the player group. Once the people i played around with the most were gone, and for the most part the only servers with anyone on them were epic and diff, i had no qualms with migrating. i agree there are some areas that seem unfinished and unused-just the other day i ran in to that new(ish?) area in benzor for the first time. had no idea it was there and no clue when it was added! it doesn't bother me too much though-it's interesting exploring and seeing new places even if theres not much goin on with them sometimes. i do like a lot of what has been added too, and now im just rambling and i don't think i have a point to make.. anyway good to see some of you guys still around :D hopefully ill see you ig soon, running things on my mac with a wineskin atm that isnt working out too well, crashes for all sorts of reasons, but will be getting a new gpu in the mail any day now for my pc so ill be back!
Krumb
Skald Uffgood
Dante Farblake
Bergelcut
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Otherworldly wrote: but will be getting a new gpu in the mail any day now for my pc so ill be back!
Congrats!
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor