Earth nature field

Nordock as a Single Instance

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
Zarcoff

Nordock as a Single Instance

Post by Zarcoff »

Phoenix in consultation with the active DMs and hearing from various regular players decided to remove the Classic instance of Nordock due to it being unused.

There were never more than a couple people on at any given time and mostly none on at all.

So he merged the classic vault into Epic's and renamed the server to be simple Nordock. I think we can mostly agree that this was the right choice at this time due to the size of our player base. But as always we are open and eager to recieve your feedback. So please post here with your thoughts and opinions, I for one want to hear them.

Really anything goes, just watch your language and there won't be a moment of tolerance for bullying anyone. Love it? Hate it? Post it.
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}
berylgreen

Re: Nordock as a Single Instance

Post by berylgreen »

I agree that hosting two almost identical versions of the module was silly, especially if it was ultimately costing Phoenix more money. The two regulars on "Classic" were Boyd Rohring and Cao Cao, two regular Revenge players. They were looking for something similar to Revenge. They did not like “Epic” when they tried it, but had settled for “Classic”.

Wishlist:
What I would like to see, is something similar to Difficult or Revenge. Not as harsh, but still challenging. With ILR and training costs, but also increased XP and gold drops, compared to what Difficult previously was. (We hated grinding for both XP and gold on Diff, it got old really fast.)

Or maybe a fresh, new Nordock, as mentioned on the Facebook page. That is a ton of work, though. I also liked the idea of the old version of Classic, without the new maps and Epic areas. Nostalgia, but still fun. Eh…it probably also wouldn’t get played on much.

Help:
I am willing to help, even a small bit financially. I am good at making items in the toolset, if you needed more/different treasure and items. I do not know how to make areas, but I can learn if you’d like. Let me know what you need.

BG

P.S. By increased XP and gold for a "Diff" version, I mean somewhat of an increase in XP, not as high as current RR Nordock. Maybe half or less of the current Nordock XP, but an increase in gold drops compared to old Diff, or even current Nordock. Training costs on Diff were rough!
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

In regard to a fresh classic module, the price to pay would be as follows.

Most of the epic areas would have to go. There is really no way to balance and intergrate any of the gear that drops there into a classic module. What could happen is some of the areas could be used, but ultimately we would be using the shell and nothing inside it. Abiz is the most obvious one here, so most of the quests or crafting or most of that inside would be gone. It would have to be reworked and tuned correctly to accomidate. I think just pulling the shell of the areas is rather a simple matter, but all the encounters and monsters inside need real work to be up to a standard that nordock should have. That, and abiz is confusing as shit.

However, by removing a lot of the epic areas and a lot of the filler areas that i have noticed it really opens up the module to have quality areas that are more then just go here, get this, bring back. Areas that have real substance, story, and challenge. Nordock has never seen a boss that acted in a way that wasn't a spell flinging hack session. Even blackavar was a hillarious joke, and that was the culmination of the entire story. Nordock has so much potential, and it's wasted with 50 areas that are just there for people to hack things down with no other interesting features.

Consider a dungeon for instance. As you walk in, there's a statue that asks you a riddle. I could script in 50 riddles for instance and it askes you one different one each time you come in or you get the boot (or have to fight something) You move on deeper, suddenly you find yourself in a room and all the doors around you slam shut. Gas starts pouring into the room, and you have to correctly position pillars while being attacked by skeletons to open the door and shut off the trap. Again, you defeat this challenge and move on.. perhaps you're a bard and have high lore, you notice a statue nearby with a lore check when you click it. You succeed, it reveals that there is a secret passage only you know about now, for some extra loot because you're a sweet bard. Anyway, you finally reach the end of the dungeon. There's a lone mage standing there, np! You run in, he teleports to the other side of the room and starts casting spells! Everytime you reach him, you only have a few moments to attack him before he teleports away and calls for aid from his skeletal army! He raises 1 first, then after a few minutes, 2 at a time, then 4, 5.. you have to hurry! Maybe he starts casting a spell you've never seen before.. oh no it lowers your hp by 1/3 everytime he casts it! You hope he doesn't cast it much!

Anyway, this is what i mean. This is all possible, and this is just a 5 second hack job on my part to come up with a dungeon while i write this. This is what nordock should have.
Brainley

Post by Brainley »

We should just bring NaDOH back ;)
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Brainley wrote:We should just bring NaDOH back ;)
You have no idea how much I wish we could. As far as I can tell, the mod was toast along with the rest of RR and I have been unable to locate a backup mod.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

Oh, i probably should have prefaced my previous post better. This is sort of like a continuation with our sideways rant on facebook about the possibility of hosting a classic (1-20) module that has been reworked that is separate from the current epic server. For a purely classic server most of the epic areas don't serve a purpose. It is regrettable but it's just the easiest way to do it. That aside, nothing will change about the current epic server so there's no need to worry about that. It will always be there.
PokeChop

-

Post by PokeChop »

-
Last edited by PokeChop on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarcoff

Post by Zarcoff »

Can I just say thank you to those people who have posted here and kept our reunion facebook group for that purpose alone. Your feedback is both solicited and welcomed!

New facebook group for Land of Nordock. Please see the RR group for a link!
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}