Earth nature field

The problem with Dev Crit is...

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
Justice_Vanin

Re: The problem with Dev Crit is...

Post by Justice_Vanin »

PokeChop wrote:Ive never played a character with Dev Crit, but I personally feel that a fighter, after being the lowly grunt meat shield of the server, standing by helplessly as the casters smoke the various uber areas, can FINALLY have a 'home run' hitter in the arsenal. I love it (even if I dont have it). I remember Seraph alway s complaining about it..which might be even MORE of a reason I am in favor...hahahaha. GO FIGHTER GO!

Just an Opinion...
Poke
HAHA Agreed Poke anything to piss off the Rooster! I personally never had a problem with Dev Crit, Epic Dodge, SOV, Harm, Ect as long as there were monsters/Foes in the server with the same in there arsenal. Always enjoyed taking my Dev Crit dwarf through the Plains of Rage!
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

Due to popular demand, Lizards in the lizard camp, damned fighters and hell wurms in the plane rage, legendary bears and various demon creatures in the plague domain will now have Devastating Critical. I'll update this week.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Valikar wrote:Due to popular demand, Lizards in the lizard camp, damned fighters and hell wurms in the plane rage, legendary bears and various demon creatures in the plague domain will now have Devastating Critical. I'll update this week.
lol
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Don't feed the troll. :roll:
Logins: jacknine, der_gespenst
Tomseltje

Post by Tomseltje »

Valikar wrote:-I- consider it a bug.. because i hate that feat.
Ah .. this sheds some light on your reasoning.. if you hate it and/or it is a feat, then you consider it a bug.
Of course im all for freedom of speech and own interpretations, but this is abit too much of a one way street for me. Does someone have the complete Valikar dictionary for me?
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

It means it is unbalanced for the server. It prevents game content that doesnt specifically design around it. Having to artificially inflate fort saves on monsters for one feat is asinine and hurts other classes that use skills or magic and utilize fort based attacks. And even if this was done, rolling a 1 is instant death for mobs that may not be intended to die so easily which dulls the challenge of it completely. We are one if the few servers that even allow the feat at all, a mistake made by inexperienced epic content planning.
Deanmon

Post by Deanmon »

I don't believe Dev crit is as bigger problem as people make it out to be. Wail of the Banshee kills whole groups of enemies in one shot yet I hear no complaints about that. The simple fact is Dev crit was put into dnd 3.5 to give poor old fighters at high level some chance against casters and low fort mobs. It certainly isn't unbalanced no more so than an ancient dragon with 2 heals for example... Anyhow I digress the server was merged to enlarge the player base and certain principles have been updated to incorporate all play styles I would put forward that we remove the Server restrictions for Dev Crit totally opening it up for non fighter melee builds. There is some awesome builds to play with and many are great fun however, Melee high levels are missing out on some of there most important class features currently for example Barbarian easily deserves the chance to take it as does a red dragon disciple.
Paul_Kettlebones
DM

Post by Paul_Kettlebones »

If a wizard could get unlimited Wail of the Banshee spells without resting then these two things would be (maybe) on par. As it is these two things don't even begin to compare. There is no other ability that approaches Dev Crit for how over powered and broken it is.
Logins: Paul_Kettlebones & DM_Requietum.
Otherworldly

Post by Otherworldly »

Does overwhelming crit have the same restrictions placed on it or can anyone take that with the regular prereqs?
Krumb
Skald Uffgood
Dante Farblake
Bergelcut
Otherworldly

Post by Otherworldly »

I imagine a restriction put on requiring the fighter class was to avoid an overly cheesy build like Bard/WM/RDD (that takes some feats so not sure how possible that would be, probably late game if at all. But lets assume it is, this build could go strength with a rapier, get a keen one plus the wm feats end up with a 10-20 crit range and pump strength on top of what they get from rdd to have an absurd dc for their devastating crit that hits 50% of the time. That, or maybe going barbarian/weapon master and using the rage feats to boost strength along with items instead. Again, you end up with a stupid crazy chance to crit with an absurd dc. I'm tempted to test these builds out on my own private game just to see how absurd you could make it xD Anyway, my point is that by not taking a fighter class and being able to take dev crit you'd be able to build some stupid over powered stuff. Dev crit as has been said has been completely removed from most mods, a modest tweak to keep it toned down ever so slightly seems reasonable. I've played as and seen some of you play as characters that *could* take dev crit if it weren't tweaked and you honestly do excellent enough damage as already, is it really necessary to have a feat that makes you kill stuff instantly instead of just doing the absurd amount of damage to it till it dies like every other class does (right, mages can insta kill, but they can't pump their dc like you can with dev crit as far as i know) anyway, just my two cents. I believe this as is is a bit of a non issue
Krumb
Skald Uffgood
Dante Farblake
Bergelcut