Earth nature field

Is time in Revenge different from Epic?

General discussion for the Revenge server.
modesty

Is time in Revenge different from Epic?

Post by modesty »

I'm trying to play wizards in both Epic and Revenge at the same time and they are roghly the same level. One thing that strikes me is that bufing spells seem to last so much shorter in Revenge. Maybe it's just a feeling, but I can't stop wonder if time is altered, beside the time between rest. Is it so? Or am I just hiding an sneaking much more in Revenge to survive, making the buffs seem to have a shorter duration?

//Maria
FooLing

Re: Is time in Revenge different from Epic?

Post by FooLing »

As far as I know, time is the same between the two (2 minutes real life time per hour in game). I'm not aware of any specific scripted spell modifications between the two servers either that might affect spell duration; but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
ServerHost
DM

Post by ServerHost »

Time is the same ie: 2 min in real time is a hour in game

But it's possible that the length that buffs last is shorter...

Back in the day when the module updates would come out, there was about a 7 step process I'd have to go through to may the Revenge build have all the specific features I wanted... dropped loot/bodies, damage, etc etc... it required me to open the module and edit a few places.

So it's entirely possible I wanted the buffs or other spells to not last as long

I know Revenge has it's own revenge.2da file i the "override" folder ... and it looks like this:

NAME INT FLOAT STRING COMMENTS
0 PLB 1 **** **** 1_for_player_loot_bags
1 BASEXP 12 **** ****
2 TRUREZLEVEL 17 **** **** cleric_level
3 REZPEN_RAISE 10 **** **** percent_current_xp
4 REZPEN_REZ 5 **** **** percent_current_xp
5 REZPEN_TRUREZ 1 **** **** percent_current_xp
6 PLB_DECAY 144 **** **** hours
7 REST_MIN 24 **** **** hours_without_bedroll
8 REST_ROLL 12 **** **** hours_with_bedroll
9 REZCHANCE 3 **** **** percent
10 SUMMONTIME 5 **** **** rounds_per_level
11 PP_GOLD 200 **** **** gp
12 PP_ITEM_WEIGHT 11 **** **** 10ths_lb
13 PP_ITEM_VALUE 3000 **** **** gp
14 PP_CONTAINERS -1 **** **** -1_or_1
15 SUMMONMAXLVL 3 **** **** max_level_monster_summons_I_to_IX
16 SUMMONDURATION 1 **** **** 1_hours__2_turns__3_rounds
17 WEAPONBREAKAGE 1 **** ****
modesty

Post by modesty »

To revive an old thread.

The summons in Revenge should stay around for 24 hours, according to the spell description, but it seems as if they only stay 1 min/level before disappear. At least Summon II, and Summon III critter.

Maybe it's the way it's supposed to work in Revenge. I don't know if there is a description about spell changes anywhere. But surviving as a low level wiz is really hard. Even harder when the summons have disappeared and it's still hours of game time to next rest.

//Maria
FooLing

Post by FooLing »

I'm pretty sure the summons on Revenge are similar to the ones on Epic (since we're using the two for comparison). However, the spell descriptions in your spell book are from the default NWN implementation, while Richterm's Retreat has modified the spell scripts for them to use the "Hardcore Ruleset" (which makes them much more like the player's handbook - or at least I think that's the reasoning behind using the Hardcore Ruleset variants).

The Hardcode Ruleset means that the duration of them varies by caster level (as you've noted), but looking at the scripts in the public release mod of Nordock, it looks like the duration can be extended with meta magic (i.e. using extended spell slots). In the default version the duration is 24hs, but you also can't choose any variation with what you get per level - even the default higher level elemental summons are random, whereas with the Richterm's variation, you can select among a few to explicitly get (that is if you pick up a summoning book at one of the wizard shops or the initial shop on character creation, and use it before casting the particular summon spell). I appreciate that being able to explicitly pick the summons outcome is small consolation when you are a low level wizard, especially when your familiar dying on Revenge means you lose xp too. Just trying to explain my understanding of how it works, and to confirm your observation, that the duration of summon creature is based on character level in Richterm's, not 24rs like the default spell description says.

There probably was a discussion about this on the old forum before things went dark for a few years. I don't know if there's a similar discussion anywhere else on this forum.