Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 11
Beard

Project - Overhaul

Post by Beard »

So, I'm kinda annoyed by how junkie this whole thing is, how would you guys feel about me ignoring the mod (leaving it hosted as it is for now) and starting from scratch? Now, by starting from scratch I mean take out all the areas, import them into a new module, and recode absolutely everything from scratch. I mean all the quests, merchants, everything but crafting and the item scripts and spells that Q'el did (because they are awesome)
berylgreen

Re: Project - Overhaul

Post by berylgreen »

Because of how differently each portion is scripted, and different levels of knowledge when creating the various parts of the mod, the only way that you CAN "fix it" would be to start from scratch. It would take you way too much time to try to decipher each portion, and then uniformly recode it.

I think that you should leave the current module up as Richterm's Retreat - there are a lot of people who've put time into it, and for someone to come along and wipe out what they have done might be an insult. (At least until such time as SH can get the original back up.) I see no problem with you taking a copy and rewriting it, but also renaming it.

Just my two cents.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

If you want to create a whole new module I don't care but as pointed out there are dozens of people who have put their heart and soul into this one and replacing it would suck.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
MAB

Post by MAB »

I'm all for having it redone from scratch. You do realize though that you have several years of work ahead of you?
fates_fury

Post by fates_fury »

What the hell, why not?
Zarcoff

Post by Zarcoff »

From scratch, no. Tweaking areas and bug fixing, yes. To overhaul the entire module would take a long time and alter the "feel" of the module. Some of the charm is how archaic some of it is :P
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}
Beard

Post by Beard »

Problem solved, NWNX2 ResMan plugin solved the problem I ripped everything out, and used it to more efficiently cache it into the mod, the mod is now like 80MB down from 118MB. I have 8,524 resources available within the mod to built upon, and anything that's scripts just gets hoisted out into the resources folder =)
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

awesome!
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Zarcoff

Post by Zarcoff »

You mean we can make Nordock Bigger? o.O
-- Zarcoff Thornewood
{DM Shar}
Beard

Post by Beard »

Short answer, yes, long answer, technically no, this means that I can use more scripts, the overrall size of the mod can't get any bigger, since I've offloaded the scripts to a resources folder, that's freed up about 20mb, which is alot mind you, but it's not enough to create a large amount of expanded content, but there's enough room to work with for some new small additions here and there. (nothing like the massive addition of content that was put into the Epic Module when it was first launched)