Earth nature field

Gamespy

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
FooLing

Gamespy

Post by FooLing »

Looks like peerchat.gamespy.com went down today. It's what drives the chat tab in the gamespy lobby when you run the standard nwn client.

It could just be a temporary outage, but my guess is that its support has been discontinued.

That can lead to a rather long wait while the client figures out there is nothing at the other end.

Assuming this isn't a short term outage, one can avoid the long wait by redirecting your hosts file to point it to your local machine which will time out quickly - but you will still get the dialog telling you to "Try Another Nick" and chat service won't be available.

For windows (at least as of Win7), that's usually in Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Code: Select all

0.0.0.0        nwmaster.bioware.com       # master server is no more
    0.0.0.0        peerchat.gamespy.com       # seems to have gone down 26-Jul-2014
[ Note the "Code:" thing is for formatting/presentation here... you don't want that portion in your hosts file ]

Wouldn't recommend doing this if you are uncomfortable with modifying system files. Keep a backup of the original version in case something goes wrong.

I searched earlier for details but didn't really see anything which is why I'm not entirely sure what the status is. I had to do a little detective work locally to see what the client was trying to access to work it out.