Earth nature field

Where to go now regarding quests?

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
GWGuen

Where to go now regarding quests?

Post by GWGuen »

As I'm going through Nordock with my character in the Enhanced Edition Epic server, I'm remembering going through each area many years ago on the old Classic server but I'm also realizing that in some places there were quests that we could undertake, but I don't remember where they are any more. In the past I could go to the Tavern and see if some advanced adventurer could help me solve something. I think I helped a few people myself, back in the day, but not much these days.

For instance, there's the guy that's locked up in West Benzor that keeps crying for help. It somehow involves the locked pile of books and a few other items near the entrance to the area. At this point the only use I know of for that pile of books is that it's a great way to summon some undead. But I thought that once, long ago, I was able to free that guy, although I don't remember how that worked out for me.

And earlier today I was in Tobaro, going through the mysteries there. I followed the one path to the point that I'm now in Drell's Cave, staring up at the obelisk. I'm pretty sure I remember the word that I have to say to get to the back sections of the cave but it isn't working. I don't remember if I had to specify the word in a certain way or what all was involved with it I certainly remember getting into those back areas previously. I just can't remember how to do it now.

Unfortunately, the Tavern forum here is looking kind of abandoned these days. It doesn't look like anyone has posted anything there in over 5 years. I'm sure that I'm missing quests & puzzles in various areas but I'm not sure how to ask about what I'm missing any more.

Thanks,
GWGuen
Fyrespray

Re: Where to go now regarding quests?

Post by Fyrespray »

it's always possible that things have got broken over the years, so it's good to post anything where you are totally stuck. Gves people a chance to go check if that quest is still working as expected.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

DM Vecna set up/upgraded both of those puzzles (Drell's and West Benzor), I did the West Benzor one, once - it rewards XP and gold if I am remembering correctly. But I never could solve the one in Drell's. Some players have.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

Ironically, I remember solving the obelisk puzzle in Drell's cave. I thought I remembered the number that I spoke then but either I'm not saying it in the correct way now (I'm not sure how else I could say it) or I'm saying the wrong thing. I definitely remember the rooms past the obelisk, the other puzzle to solve, and the things I had to fight.

As for the puzzle in West Benzor, I thought that the voice in the jail cell gave me something but I could never find it later in my inventory. I thought that it might just be setting a token or something like that for my character but, if so, it never worked for me. Maybe there's a certain order in which you have to go to the 4 locked items in the area and I've just always done it wrong in the past?

In any case, I hope to recreate my old character, Floyd the Pink, soon and once I've done that then I'll carefully watch what happens when I go to West Benzor.

Thanks,
GWGuen
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

Well, I've worked out the 2 puzzles/quests now that I mentioned above.

In regards to the West Benzor puzzle, apparently I've been overlooking that item that the caged person gives us for years. I went in with a relatively new character for whom I knew everything in their inventory so I saw the new item. Then I was able to work out how to use it without too much trouble. I suspect that in the past I've been too distracted at the wrong times to see what I needed to do. After my new character got the item in question, I gave it to an older character who had never completed this quest (sorry, if that's against the rules). I'm glad that I did, though, because the result was more than I expected. I don't think my lower-level character could have handled it as well. I'm still not pleased with how this puzzle ended but I'm guessing that I've probably already said too much about this and I can't ask a more-specific question here.

In regards to Drell's Cave, I finally reread everything and realized what I had missed something this time. The book in Drell's cave told me something that I'd forgotten. Once I realized that then I remembered something from awhilw back turned out to be the way past the obelisk. If someone wants to know how to do this then they can send me a private message and I'll tell them what it is (unless that's not allowed). BUT, if you DO proceed with this, remember that there's another puzzle past the obelisk that can have a major impact on your character if done wrong. And also there are also some pretty tough characters which you have to deal with. I'm glad that I did it, though.

And, finally, I have another question about another quest. I have an orc shaman's head in a bag in my inventory. I don't remember where or when I got it or to whom I'm supposed to take it. This isn't Grun Bak's head (or whatever the name is for the Donnely's farm). I did that quest with this character. I'm just not sure what to do with this head.

Thanks,
GWGuen
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

I'll add 1 more entry to this because there a couple of things that frustrate me about Tobaro.

First, if I remember correctly there should be an ending to the Drell's quest because it starts at a house in Tobaro and a woman there who gives you a key to a house. To me it seems like there should be something else that happens after you return to Tobaro but I can't make it work.

The other thing is the Harbormaster. Despite what I've found and to whom I've talked, I can't find a way to convince him to change his mind. I've tried all of the options multiple times and none of them work. The only thing that I can't do as a Monk is to charm him somehow.

Thanks,
GWGuen
Senectus
DM

Post by Senectus »

The orc head you mentioned is from the benzor river valley cave shaman I suspect. Talk to Captain Tucker about it.