Earth nature field

Immunities and fumbles

Posts regarding the servers of Nordock
FooLing

Re: Immunities and fumbles

Post by FooLing »

Xillie wrote:ps. btw NWNwiki says that death imm also negates the negenergy dmg of finger.
I stand corrected on that - thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not sure what you experienced that killed you. I've not had the circle of death experience either that you were describing.

Would be willing to test out both sometime in the arena.
BlackmageMaster

Post by BlackmageMaster »

Xillie wrote:ps. btw NWNwiki says that death imm also negates the negenergy dmg of finger.
That doesn't sound right. Negative Energy spells should (and do, as I recall) still deal damage, regardless if you're immune to Death effects or not. Otherwise, every one and their dog would laugh at Harm. Aside from being Undead, wearing gear with Negative Energy resistance/immunity, or using spell protections (like Negative Energy Protection), you should always be taking damage. I'd cite the Wiki as wrong on this case.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Kinda agree. I suspect the wiki is right, making the game "wrong", or d&d 3.0 rules. It would be the "reduced damage after successfull save" (immunity here).

Anyone wanna toss a coin at my other proposal to give harm Will save vs Neg. Energy for half or 3/4 damage, just like the cause wounds spells have? Why would one spell of the same family have different rules?
I'm pretty sure there still would be no dog laughing at harm.

And how about disabling failure on roll of 1? Combined with removing all immunity gear from the game? :twisted: (Valikar?)

greets,

Xillie
Beard

Post by Beard »

NWN Wikia isn't accurate, Qel modified almost all of the spells to reflect more closely with P&P
DreamWeaver

Post by DreamWeaver »

Here are some snippets from the 3rd ed. PHB that might shed some light (or perhaps darkness) on the subject:
  • A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on a saving throw is always a failure (and may cause damage to exposed items; see Items Surviving after a Saving Throw, page 177). A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a success.
  • Nonmagical, unattended items never make savings throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by (for instance), a disintegrate spell. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, fondled [1], or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character's saving throw bonus).
  • Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion. For example, if a party encounters a section of illusory floor, the character in the lead would receive a saving throw if she stopped and studied the floor or if she probed the floor.
    A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline. For example, a character making a successful saving throw against a figment of an illusory section of floor knows the "floor" isn't safe to walk on and can see what lies below (light permitting), but he or she can still note where the figment lies.
    A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real needs no saving throw. A character who falls through a section of illusory floor into a pit knows something is amiss, as does one who spends a few rounds poking at the same illusion. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.
  • Usually a harmful spell allows a target to make a saving throw to avoid some or all of the effect. The Saving Throw entry in a spell description defines which type of saving throw the spell allows and describes how saving throws against the spell work.
Weird
If a subject's Fortitude save succeeds, it still takes 3d6 points of damage and is stunned for 1 round. The subject also takes 1d4 points of temporary Strength damage.

Implosion
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates.

Circle of Death
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates.

Finger of Death
The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +25). The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw.

[1] creative license... :roll: