Immunities and fumbles

Post by Xillie »

HIIIYAAAAAAAA!!!!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Wearing an uthgart belt with death immunity I recently got

IMPLODED
WEIRDED
FINGERED TO DEATH EVEN!

Does anyone know what death imm is good for nowadays besides exploit-tricking an outdated AI into casting selective spells?

My rogue is my only character that has a fortitude not higher than 26, I hate rolls of 1 failures and like all elite, experienced players (this is supposed to strengthen my argument, sshhhhh ;) ) I find immunities a weak cheat to cover mistakes at the cost of using sportive, fair, stat-increasing gear.

Could it be time we can discuss disabling the completely-frustrating-all-technics fumble on roll of 1 saves? (Not talking about hits and misses on 20's and 1's).
This would hugely promote investing in saves, at least, by the developed players, it would temper devcrit somewhat and leaves implosion-spammers out in the cold.

Fumble on a roll of 1 is a bad thing, especially in a mod that is called epic. Having to wear death immunity only for those rolls of 1 (Some hostiles spam them) against effects one could save against with a roll of -20....boring.....I know how the arguments that would be pro sound......"there should be danger in bodakgazes for everyone, no matter how powerfull divine demigod"....that stuff.....rediculous :evil: Someone who is pro, consider yourself warned 8-) I would grumbly accept however, the argument that in these days, changes like these would be too....unconservative.

Someone once somewhere said: "We want players to die more often." Hehe, I can get along with that argument.
I love dying, it can bring huge satisfaction if you can admit the enemy beat you fair and square. Dying from 1's on deathmagic as a slap in the face to your carefully grown fortitude (1+24 vs DC 24) just doesn't do it. Although ...Im actually not sure what is more frustrating....dying with 1+24 = 25 vs 24 or with 1+38 = 39 vs 24.......

I prefer dying from getting bigbies forcefull knockdown, then slowly getting clubbed to meatloaf by a lich staff just before the spell wears off.

Perhaps we can poll? Also, are there currently any active developers who could flip this switch should I win this debate? :lol:

I suddenly remember another suggestion I wanna throw in here.

The cause wounds spells have will save vs neg. energy for half damage, yet harm doesn't. Does anyone remember whether this argument was ever used in the harm-nerf debates? I would be pro on neg.energy willsave vs harm for half damage. Woud make crafted sapphire jewelry bonus more cool.

greets and spit on that guiding light belt,

Xillie
FooLing

Re: Immunities and fumbles

Post by FooLing »

Dying to all of those stinks, especially on rolls of 1. But...

Implosion is evocation magic. Death magic immunity does nothing for you against it.

Weird is illusion magic... death magic immunity does nothing for you against it. It's descriptor is Fear and Mind-Affecting, so if you had immunity to either of those, you should be safe against the cascade of effects that lead to death when it is cast at you. A mantle of illusion (you thought those were worthless?) would also make you immune to its effects.

Finger of death is necromancy magic, with a death magic component/descriptor... however, it also does damage even if you make the save or are death magic immune. If you were necro immune, you should be invulnerable to both of the spells effects. So if you were partially damaged from something else, it's possible Finger of death could take you out with the damage component it does, even while wearing a death magic immunity belt (or if it was cast by a high level caster and you had really low HPs at full health). If cast empowered, it could conceivably do 87 points of damage if cast by a level 40 caster ((3d6 +1 per caster level) * 1.5).

1s stink, no doubt about it... I know all the monsters that would normally be immune to my attacks except when they roll a 1 are complaining about it in monster fugue too. It cuts both ways (at least that's how I think about it).

Theoretically, rogues have access to a nice feat that allows them to re-roll on failed will saves... that's nice for 1s against Weird... except when you roll two 1s in a row, or your will save is so low it doesn't matter for either roll. So that +9 will amulet out there somewhere could find a use in the right hands.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Not a rule we made up. It's a DND rule and we are a DND based game :) 20 always hits and 1 always misses.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

I'm not against 20's and 1's when it comes to attack rolls. My plea is about saving throws and immunity gear necessity only for this "rule".

Fumble on roll of 1 is not an official D7D 3.0 rule as far as I can find out. Might be interesting to find out whether and how many pennpaper group ditched the rule.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is just a mere flag on the server, it even has an option in nwn.ini or something?

greets,

Xillie
artemishadow

Post by artemishadow »

I can tell you without question that it is not in any format as an official rule, most if not all dnd players and DMs use it as a house rule, and many people adopted that belief.

I'm certainly not opposed to this idea, since I have a few characters that are quite heavy on saves and the fact that I as an epic level character shouldn't be fearful of being caught off guard (in this case, rolling a 1).

My 2 cents.

Arte
Valikar

Post by Valikar »

I can dispel some of your confusion.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Weird - Death immunity does not protect you from weird.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Implosion - Death immunity does not protect you from implosion

However, i do not know why you may have been killed by finger of death with death immunity active. Perhaps the damage killed you, and not the death magic effect? (I just noticed Foo answered your question, so.. uh ya)
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Because I suddenly remembered a wrong instakill some time ago.

Finger is innate level 7, fallen druids have lottof spellfocus but not necro (surprisingly) and +8 on their wisdom. 10+7+8=25......the spells DC that killed me was DC 24....so level 6 necro!!

Turns out...Im 99% sure...the database is to blame!.....when it is down, the game registers your character level as 0 or 1......what killed me next (and killed me and tomseltje some time ago) was a lvl6 circle of death.

circles of death instakill any level when the database is down, remember that folks:)

Question still is: Why did my uthgard belt not protect against the (lowlevel) instadeath effect of circle of death?

I can finally rest easy now I know the database is to blame hehe.

So......what about turning off roll-of-1-failure on saves?

greets,

Xillie

ps. btw NWNwiki says that death imm also negates the negenergy dmg of finger.
Beard

Post by Beard »

spells and the database have nothing to do with each other... your characters abilities and saves have nothing to do with the database either, the only things the Database work for are ATS, HCR, IP, CDKey, Quest, Server Status, etc needed for logging necessary information... it has nothing to do with how game mechanics function.
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Yes I thought that too.
And yet there is this issue with circle of death when the database is down.

I guess further investigation is needed.

greets,

Xillie
Beard

Post by Beard »

I'd wager it's something with spell fixes with NWNX, I'll look into it at some point