Earth nature field

Common Courtesy On Nordock

General Discussion about anything even loosely related to Nordock
Emanon

Re: Common Courtesy On Nordock

Post by Emanon »

Can we at least get some compromise? One big pet peeve I hate is the lame "auto-fear" script a lot of animal types have. Somehow they mystically metagame your level, get feared and run the length of the area away from you. I loathe chasing them down and spawning 5 more meaningless encounters trying to kill one boar. It's awful.

I mean the other day I was helping some newbie through Abiz and doing the quests. Just to get the air spider thread, everytime I'd spawn a patch of spiders, they'd instantly get feared and take off streaking (and teleporting) away from us through the entire area. Who has time for that silliness given every 3 steps you take you just spawn another patch who does the same thing.

There's sooo many things wrong with this module that are counter-productive to what you're wanting. Insanely high leveled encounters abutting lowbie areas, backspawns no one notices because they're out of perception range on your way out, metagamey fear scripting that wastes your time and no way to do certain things (like getting rid of a Brock).

Of course, a simple auto-reboot once every day or two like we used to have would go a long way towards stability. So many times the server stays up a week+ long, half the time broken in parts.
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

If there are problems requiring a reset on epic or classic we're usually pretty quick to reset for you guys. Just ask us here or on facebook. Diff we're a little bit stingier on, but will still reset if anything is actually broken or whatever.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

The compromise would be logics applied to case to case basis I think.
Cases descibed here as needing "dealing" are mostly clear in the part where players are knowingly inconsiderate in their footprint towards other players.
Leaving backspawns you are unaware of is not like that. I agree the fearscript on monsters has serious conflict with the leave-no-spawns rule. I do not chase monsters fleeing from me usually, the one who is guilty here is the monster who is leaving me as spawn 8-) . I'm quite certain the script was implemented without enough consideration, so if this is a problem, it had best be removed.

I think the opposite in the case of the spider area in abiz, I think the area itself shows how the deal is to kill every spider you spawn there and leave none when you leave yourself. Feared spiders only move to the next group and you have to kill them all anyway. In fact, I would call it an archetype area where if you leave with the prize without killing all spawn, you are as guilty of leaving spawn as it gets. Getting the prize there isn't a matter of "just getting it"..It shouldn't be anywhere. If you pick a once-per-reset quest item, at least kill your spawn.

I believe this thread was started due to inconsiderate play on diff., but it never hurts to repost the general rules, although I agree they appear less applicable to the server+playerbase nowadays than in the years they were written.

In case you feel you are suffering from other player's leftovers, go to facebook and ask for a reset as Raradra explained.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

Players are welcome to ask here, as well. Some of our players are not on Facebook. Some of our DMs are not of Facebook. :shock:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

raradra wrote:If there are problems requiring a reset on epic or classic we're usually pretty quick to reset for you guys. Just ask us here or on facebook. Diff we're a little bit stingier on, but will still reset if anything is actually broken or whatever.
Why though, do we not (again) have an auto-reboot like we used to? It solved so many problems. Even time it to 3 days if you don't want everyday? So many times I've logged in and the module hadn't been reset in a week, 2, or even 3 weeks. :?
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Guess what......it's exploitable! :lol:
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

We are trying to be as close to a PW as possible, and it is tiring to watch players rush the chests at each reset. I am also tired of watching players DESTROY chests which actually refill over time. I realize that some think that they are being considerate by destroying chests after looting, to let the next player know that there is no treasure to be had. If I catch anyone destroying anything, I will take appropriate measures. :twisted:
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

Afaik, chests that are not invulnerable are legal to bash. Normal chests do not "refill" are are made bashable. Chests that should not be destroyed have been made invulnerable.
Also, afaik, chests that refill are very exclusive, not your average "high" treasure chest (I only know of 2 places, that are on the edge of upper challenge....).

Cheers,

Xillie
Xillie

Post by Xillie »

BTW, People will be looking for these chests now.
Lliira
DM

Post by Lliira »

There are several refillable chests which I have found destroyed. I am not talking about the chests that refill every few minutes. I am talking about some chests which refill after about 48 hours. Once destroyed, they will not refill, obviously.

Nothing is "legal" to bash. I understand that a fighter with no disarm trap or open lock skills might bash a chest, to get to the treasure. They run the risk of destroying the treasure in the process.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals