Earth nature field

Veridian Dreams - A short by Kilik Blade

A place to share in-character stories and event recaps! All out of character text should be noted as such.
artemishadow

Veridian Dreams - A short by Kilik Blade

Post by artemishadow »

Frigid wind blows with feral intensity from the north, trapping the encampment in a prison of bone biting cold, their bodies tremoring violently as the one sole man stands defiant against the bitter reality that has come to consume his allies, " Quit your wimpering and pack up. The drowners won't cease until we've been converted or consumed. There's no time to waste."

The man had a cold harshness to his voice that made the surrounding environment seem childish in a harsh world known as life. "Marguk, we will have to stop eventually. Not all of us possess the 'Dweolan'." Aerolith enunciated quite clearly in sylawyn. Her accent somewhat accentuated by her tone, which was low, tinged with seduction. "I'm aware of the capabilities of our party, Aero. And we have not reached our limit yet. "Perhaps Zeke will protect us from the elements so that we may gain a quick head on the drowners?" The human then stood, his layered pelt comprised of the skins and furs of the snow beasts of the Crystal Mountains, acknowledging Marguk's statement with no more than a silent nod, his hands reaching for the stars as he called upon the wisdom imparted to him from the Forest Father, and in an instant, the party was wrapped in a blanket of heat that repelled the harsh season that the Winterlord had burdened them with.

"Lets get going my friends. We must depart swiftly, as the daylight will not come for a while yet."

~~~~~~~~~~

*Have they stopped yet?* The drowners clicked and waved their hands silently to each other as they glanced back and forth, their features sunken and hollowed out, their eyes a pitless, empty socket, and their noses were no more than a pair of tiny slits in the center of their faces. Their bodies mimicking a silhouette of shade, making them appear almost two-dimensional.

'These tracks are somewhat fresh. We may yet find a camp, prepare the weirds.' They each grinned maliciously to each other, revealing a rack of needlepoint teeth two rows long, black as night, their fingers bending, folding and cracking in every direction as the snow around them began to darken and swirl meticulously, forming small, eyeless elementals, not a moment passing before they took off in a flash of snow, disappearing into the wretched blizzard.

~~~~~~~~~~

The blizzard raged on, growing even more bitter and unforgiving with each fleeting moment, "Just a little further mates, pick it up!" Marguk's voice retaining all the steel and fervor he always carried, even amidst the discouraging environment, "Marguk, winter weirds are closing in fast, course of action?" "We can't hope to reach our destination with them on our tail, we must hope to the Creator that we can hide from them, find shelter, fast!"

Zeke once again called upon his patron deity for stealth against his pursuers, the party huddling together against a snow bank as they began to blend in amongst the environment, Aero's hands weaving intricately as a phantasm of the group shimmered into existance, the winter weirds arriving just moments later as the group leapt off the cliffside and plummeted. Minutes that felt like hours passed as the winter weirds then approached the cliffside, watching the party skid down the face of the mountain as the illusion of Aerolith began her weavings again, the crew slowing their descent as a plateau of snow and ice materialized beneath them, carrying them beyond sight of the weirds, a massive clash of snow erupting as they became one with the environment, apparently being dismissed.

The distraught party sighed lowly as their camouflage had faded and they immediately resumed their lightning pace towards the summit of the Crystal Mountains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(OOC) This is just me putting my writings online so that others can view it and comment on it as they desire, I'd like to get some feedback on what you all think about it and possibly some constructive criticism so that I can brush up my skills a bit! (OOC)
Lliira
DM

Re: Veridian Dreams - A short by Kilik Blade

Post by Lliira »

Quit your wimpering and pack up. (whimpering)

their eyes a pitless, empty socket, (pitiless, empty sockets)

It's up to you, I can be the grammar police, sometimes. ;)
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
artemishadow

Post by artemishadow »

Thanks! sometimes hard to notice the little things :P

Appreciate the feedback!
raradra
DM

Post by raradra »

Be careful with going overboard with adjectives. It tends to make it look like you're just throwing in filler to make the piece longer. Otherwise sounds good.
-------
Tymora
Lolth
Paragor
artemishadow

Post by artemishadow »

Good advice Raradra, thanks!