Earth nature field

Is there a bug with the ox whistle?

Please post any in-game or website related bugs you encounter and any helpful steps or information to replicate the bug. **NOTE** If this is an unbalancing in-game exploit, please PM the DMs with the information to avoid any possible abuses. If you're unsure, PM the DMs.
GWGuen

Is there a bug with the ox whistle?

Post by GWGuen »

I'm not sure if there's a bug with the game or just with me. Is there a problem with the ox whistle, ox, and/or ox pack scripts or is it just that I'm doing something wrong?

My main problem is that I can't always get the ox to pick up the ox pack after I put stuff into it. At one point it also didn't seem to be dropping the ox pack but that seems to be working now. In any case, I chose the option to drop the ox pack, put my stuff into the pack, and then chose to strap the pack back on. But then I still see the ox pack sitting on the ground (no matter how long I wait) and when I look inside the pack then all of my stuff is in it.

If I try to strap on the ox pack again then I'll get a message saying "no pack" and that's regardless of how close or how far the pack, the ox, and I all are to each other. And if I try to drop the pack again then another ox pack is created. Then some of my stuff will be in the old pack and some of it will be in the new pack. Then I might be able to strap the new pack back on the ox or I might not be able to do it. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

By the way, I ended up having to leave 3 ox packs on the floor in 2 of the rooms in the "Trondor Cemetary Crypt" because I couldn't do anything with them. For all I know there might be multiple packs in the "Sholo Plains", too, after I got the ox. I tried to drop the ox pack multiple times there but it never seemed to work. Maybe I just missed them.

And then I made another mistake in the "Trondor Cemetery". I decided not to have the ox follow me around and I thought that I remembered from years ago that you got rid of the ox by blowing the ox whistle again. Nope. That just called another ox for me. I didn't know what to do with that ox (I didn't try to tame it) so I presume that it's still there in the cemetery. I guess I should have chosen to "abandon" the ox but that just seems to leave it in that area, too.

I don't know if I'm going to play around with the whistle much more. If I blow that whistle a few more times and generate a few more oxen then I'm going to have to take at least 1 level in the "Rancher" class...

Thanks (& sorry),
GWGuen
Lliira
DM

Re: Is there a bug with the ox whistle?

Post by Lliira »

I am not very experienced with the oxen and packs, I do remember having trouble with them. Perhaps Senectus knows more.
Lliira – Joy, Festivals
Sehanine (Moonbow) – Dreams, Mysticism, Moon Elves
Yondalla – Creation, Tradition, Wisdom
Zinzerena - Chaos, Assassins
Senectus
DM

Post by Senectus »

This it just a guess and going by my own experience rather than looking at scripts, but you are filling it with too much stuff most likely. Try to keep it to 6 pages or less.

Some containers get buggy if you fill them with too many items. There's a limit to the forge for example - 150 items or 25 pages of ore... it's not just the number of pages, it's the number of items. The forge will still work if you pack it with more than 150 things, it just works on one item at a time until it gets to 150 or less - you have to interact with it over and over to keep it working until you get to the upper limit, then it will behave normally.

I vaguely recall the limit for the ox pack being about 6 pages of ore (which would be about 48 items) before it starts getting wonky. But it could be lower than this.

Storage chests are another container that behave poorly if you fill them with too many things (the limit is much lower for these).
GWGuen

Post by GWGuen »

I definitely don't think that I had put too much stuff in the ox pack because I purposely only had 1, 1x2 item more than 1 page of stuff in it. I filled the page up exactly with 1x1, 1x2, & 2x2 items and then I added one more 1x2 item to it to make sure that it expanded into multiple pages (which it did) and then tried to save it. With all of the 1x1 & 1x2 items in the pack, I had many items in it but definitely not anywhere close to 150 items.

Having said all of this, I might play with the ox whistle again sometime in the future but I think that I'm going to leave it alone for now since I don't currently need it.

I've got 12 bags & pouches, including 3 Bags of Holding. I'm a packrat by nature & just tend to acquire & hold onto multiple items until I need to sell them. But how many "Amulets of Natural Armor Class +?" does any character need to carry, especially when you've got +1, +2, & +4 versions of them? When would anyone use the +1 version if they have the +4 version? In any case, I ended up selling off a BUNCH of stuff so now I've got a LOT of space, both inside & outside of my bags, so I don't need the ox pack at this time.

And after selling those excess items I had enough money to go on a shopping spree in a certain location in Mulroc (since I just turned 19 seasons a few nights ago) so it all worked out well for me after all. At some point I'll play with the ox whistle again just out of curiosity but I don't expect to do it again any time soon.

Thanks for both of your help & advice about this, though!
GWGuen
Fyrespray

Post by Fyrespray »

There have been a bunch of changes around the pack ox script, hopefully this has fixed all of the above problems.